Friday, August 31

On the grosser side

When Judah started talking, I found myself examining my own speech patterns a lot, and realizing that there are things I say constantly, verbal tics I don't even know I have until I hear Judah copying them. Apparently I say "Hmmm, let's see" quite a bit. I recognize my own words in a lot of what he says, but then once in a while he comes up with something and I can't figure out where he got it at all.

Like the other day. We've been having naptime battles that involve everything from bribery to spanking to get him to stay in bed. He's developed one good trick, and that is that he knows if he can produce a poopy diaper he has total immunity from any and all harsh words or punishment for that round. So he routinely "saves up" for naps and bedtime.

So a couple days ago he opens his door with cries of "Poopy! Poopy!" I of course go to rescue him from the mire in his diaper, and as I'm lifting him onto the changing pad he says, with great pleasure, "Smells like a big one!"

Please tell me that phrase has never come out of my mouth.

1 comment:

Ashlee said...

I could swear I've heard you say that! Or not... I think it may come from the Daddy side.